Wow I’m on a roll, not just on making blouses but also on re-making patterns. That has been something I’ve wanted for sometime now, to have patterns that I like enough to make again, and again — setting up my TNT patterns. It is funny though how one change on a pattern can affect whether I like the pattern or not, or if it fits correct. My first version of this pattern I posted on April 30th, 2012 — here.
This is another fabric that the rest of my family didn’t care for — but as I told them it was a blouse for me — and I like the fabric! I love the colors! Last time I made the sleeveless version, this time I made the capped sleeve version shown on the pattern cover in white on the bottom. I adjusted the sleeves to increase them for my fuller biceps — but obviously not quite enough because when I tried on the shirt it still was slightly tight in the sleeves, I didn’t give them enough ease. Don’t worry I’ll still wear it, because that is how I roll, I don’t give up my ‘me-made’ clothes just because of something slight — it still fits better than RTW.
I like that it has darts in the back giving some fitting without being so tight for my apple shaped waistline. There isn’t much to say about the pattern that I haven’t already talked about in the previous post. This pattern is easy to sew up, is a nice fit, and would just be easy to make up several of them! You can guess this fabric is cotton lawn again from Fashion Fabric Club.
I wanted to add this close-up picture of my buttons — I just had to add these bight green buttons, adding a little more fun to those summer colors! I have a pair of bright green capris that will look nice with this shirt and make me feel like I am all about summer !!
I wanted to share my bias treatment on the collar. Does anyone read Laura Mae at Lilacs & Lace? She wrote this item on ‘Hug & Snug‘, which got me reading more about how she treats her seams. Laura likes to bind many of her seams to keep them clean — I generally use my serger for my seams, on collars like this I would flip it under and top stitch. I decided this time to do it different! And I like it. I have to share — in honesty I have not been using my serger as much as I use to. There was a time I used my serger on all seams — but I find I have more control with the sewing machine — and there are times that the serger causes too much bulk on the seam. It is funny it is like stepping back to my old friend using the sewing machine more than the serger. So has anyone else changed their view on the use of a serger?
How about some other reviews of this pattern–
SewCreateLive has a blog post on Butterick 6085, actually her blog post is lengthy, allowing you to follow her along the entire steps of putting the pattern together. She starts with the cutting out process, clear to the end! Her blog post is awesome for someone new to sewing or at the beginning stages of sewing! Some items I don’t do the same, as many of us who sew branch into little items we like — I don’t like interfacing in blouses, I use broadcloth (I read about using it in a book), I would still serge seams in area especially with cottons — and I have taken to using dental floss for the gathering opposed to the double stitch line — but it is an excellent tutorial all the same — here it is
KnitRelief also has a blog post on Butterick 6085, her’s is brief as she mentions she is more about knitting then sewing — check out her blog
I will try to get a couple more posts up — this concludes my blouse sewing parade but I have some items I made for that darling husband of mine, plus have a few more shirts to sew up for him — but on top of painting, moving the sewing room — I am also getting ready to go on my first summer vacation for the year. I’ll be heading to Kansas City where I hang with old friends for a week and hit my old haunts — like some super great KC Bar-B-Que !! So make sure to check back if I have a few days of absence —